9-Day Highest Peaks of Romania [Group Hiking Trip]
Looking for the best hiking tour in Romania? Want to reach the highest peaks in the Carpathian Mts? Ready for a trekking adventure in Transylvania's Alps? If YES then this trip is for you - a 9-day hiking tour going deep in the most beautiful and challenging mountains of Romania to reach the highest peaks and best viewpoints of Transylvania.
Update: 1 person signed in for 10.09.2023
What you need to know about the peaks of Romania tour:
- SHARED 9-day group hiking trip (max 8 people) starting on 16 July, 20 August and 10 September. Tour will run ONLY IF 4 people are registered.
- Mountain huts have very limited places - please book in advance to secure your spot, we can't guarantee availability for long.
- Included: licensed mountain guide with 10+ years of experience, all transfers, 8 nights of accommodation with breakfast, 7 dinners, 6 lunch packs (on the hiking days), entrance fees to national parks, bear watching program and Bran Castle.
- NOT included: transfer from Otopeni Airport to Sinaia (starting point) on Day 1 [available at extra cost], meals on day 5, drinks, personal expenses
- Summit 3 major peaks in Romania: Omu in Bucegi Mts (2,505m), La Om in Piatra Craiului (2,238m) and highest in Romania, Moldoveanu in Fagaras Mts (2,544m).
- See impressive natural attractions (Babele and Sphinx); 'ride' the ridge of Piatra Craiului Mts; admire serene glacial lakes in Fagaras Mts; see bears in the wild; visit Bran (Dracula) Castle.
- Very good hiking experience + physical condition + hiking gear required. Hikes will be medium-to-hard difficulty. No special equipment needed.
- The route could be changed due the weather conditions.
- Registration closes 29 days before departure.
- Tour will run ONLY if a minimum of 4 people are registered.
- 30% deposit payment required when booking. Fully refundable if you cancel 31 days before the tour starts or if tour is NOT confirmed.
- Balance must be paid 30 days before departure. 50% of the full tour price fully refundable if you cancel 31 days before departure. Not refundable after that.
- Minimum equipment required: min 30L backpack, waterproof hiking boots, warm clothes, gloves, hat, wind + water proof jacket. Our advise is to have a sleeping bag at the Podragu Mountain hut!
- Hiking sticks can be rented (25 Euro / person for the entire trip)
- ATTENTION - if our guide considers your physical condition, experience or equipment is not adequate or can endanger the group's safe journey (especially for Fagaras Mts) he reserves the right to refuse to take you on the trail.
RATE: 1650 EURO/PERSON
Moments to expect in the highest peaks of Transylvania tour:
[Day 1] Meet in Sinaia & enter Bucegi Natural Park
We meet in Sinaia on Saturday at 14:00 (transfer from Otopeni Airport NOT included but available at extra cost OR you can come by train or car). Our minivan will take us to Padina Cabin and we set up base here for 2 nights. Free time to connect with the Romanian Carpathians!
[Day 2] Warm-up hike to Babele, Sphinx and Caraiman Cross
We explore Bucegi Mts. with a warm-up hiking trip to see some of Romania's famous natural attractions: the Sphinx and Babele rock formations, surrounded by many folk legends! Then onwards to Caraiman Cross, a WWI monument to get superb views of the Eastern Carpathians and the horizon.
- 6h hiking - 800m uphill + downhill
[Day 3] Summit Omu Peak and descend Bucegi
We take our backpacks and go on a 3h hike to Omu Peak (2,505m), the highest outside of Fagaras Mts. Then we descend on the other side of Bucegi Mts. into Simon village (6h) and get transferred (luggage too!) to a local guesthouse in the picturesque mountain village of Magura, at the base of Piatra Craiului Mts.
- 3+6h hike - 980m uphill + 1700m downhill
[Day 4] 'Ride' the crest of Piatra Craiului Mts
Today we have a mighty goal: to cross the impressive limestone ridge of Piatra Craiului Mts. and summit La Om Peak (2,238m), the highest here. Piatra Craiului Natural park is one of the most beautiful in Romania, with its unmistakable ridge scratching the sky, diverse wildlife and jaw-dropping views!
- 8h hike - 1,200m uphill + downhill
[Day 5] Let's get some rest, visit Bran Castle and see bears!
Let's rest before the hardest part of our trip. We sleep in and after breakfast go visit the famous Bran (Dracula) Castle, then into the charming mountain city of Brasov for some free time and lunch (NOT included). In the afternoon we'll go with a wildlife ranger to an observatory to (hopefully!) see brown bears and other animals in the wild!
[Day 6] Enter the mighty Fagaras Mts
Today we meet the most challenging, highest and wildest mountains in Romania. We go on a ride on the famous Transfagarasan Road and from Balea Lake we hike on the ridges of Fagaras Mts to Podragu Cabin (shared dormitory) where we set up base.
CAUTION: Fagaras Mts are the most difficult and dangerous, with narrow rocky trails going on cliffs and some sections with cables
- 6h hike - 800m downhill + uphill
[Day 7] Summit Moldoveanu Peak
Today we conquer Romania's highest peak at 2,544m. An ambitious objective comes with its challenges: though a short distance, the wind is strong, the air is cool, the weather unpredictable and the terrain sloppy and dangerous. But the reward is worth it so let's hope for good weather! Return to Podragu Cabin.
- 7h hike - 700m downhill + uphill
[Day 8+9] Descend, return to Brasov and departure
From the heights of Fagaras Mts (2,200m) we descend to the plains of Transylvania into the small city of Victoria at 700m altitude! Going downhill is easier but not less challenging! From Victoria you get transferred to a hotel in Brasov to enjoy some free time in the evening. The next day we say goodbye and you'll be transferred to Otopeni Airport with some amazing memories!
- 6h hike - 1,500m downhill
Difficulty grade: See Classification of the trekking and hiking tours