1 day private trekking tour in one of the greatest mountain in Romania. The main ridge is regarded as one of the most beautiful sites in the Carpathians.
Special offer 10% off!
Booking dates: Jan 3 - Feb 29, 2020
Travel dates: Jan 3 - Feb 29, 2020
This private hiking trip is a great opportunity to explore Piatra Craiului National Park in the Carpathian Mountains, an area pretty much untouched by the 21st century. Trek past gorges, forests and pastures where mountain shepherds still work, and see a side of Romania that's hardly changed in generations.
Hike among the spectacular Carpathian Mountains on a guided, small-group tour of Piatra Craiului National Park from Brașov. Follow one of two routes on a 5- to 7-hour hike through alpine meadows, fragrant forests and country villages that seem untouched by time. See the cavernous Zarnesti Gorge, and learn about the traditional rural industries of cheese-making and shepherding. Refuel with hearty Romanian fare at either a mountain hut or a local village.
Did you know?
The name of the mountain came from one of the citadels built by the Hungarian Kingdom, as a custom, control and protection point, at the southern border of Transylvania, at the bottom of the mountains, at the end of XIV century. The name of the citadel in German language was Königstein.
The locals called the mountain The Stone (Piatra).
The name of the highest peak (2238 m) is called Piscul Ciobanului or Piscul Baciului - Shepherd's Peak in English language and Hirtenspitze in German language.
A century ago the Carpathians mountains represented the border between Austrian-Hungarian Empire and Valachia, the southern part of Romania. The border divided Piatra Craiului Massif exactly on the highest peak, Piscul Baciului, where was the border pillar no. 201 and a pyramide made from wood (triangulation beacon).
The Piatra Craiului Massif became a natural reserve on March 28, 1938 (Journal of the Council of Ministers No. 645), with an initial surface of only 440 ha. The Council of Ministers made this decision "due to the unique nature of the massif where there are rare species, such as Dianthus callizonus, Hesperis nivea, Minuartia transilvanica, Leontopodium alpinum, and also for the beauty of the landscape."
- 60 euro/person (minimum 2 people, for 1 person the rate is as for 2 people)
The package includes:
- transportation, licensed English speaking mountain guide
- entrance fee in the National Park (5 lei - about 1.2 euro), lunch (about 5-7 euro)
Duration: approx. 8 h, medium, excellent view throughout the day, uphill/downhill walk: 700 m/700 m.
Highlights: Piatra Craiului National Park, Curmatura hut, Zarnesti Gorges
Guaranteed departures: all year round.
Meeting point: The History Museum Piata Sfatului Square – 8:30 AM. Our guide holds the sign "Meeting Point GUARANTEED DEPARTURES DAY TOURS”.
Important: You have to make the booking 1 day in advance until 9 PM!
- Dress warmly: Compulsory sturdy and waterproof hiking shoes; warm clothes recommended
- Route may be changed without notice due to weather conditions
Fact: people in these 2 villages never died because of heart attack or cancer!
Route: Piatra Craiului National Park, crossing Zarnesti Gorges. Visit two of the most authentic mountain villages: Pestera & Magura or hike to Curmatura hut. Between June and September we make a stop to an authentic sheep farm.
Details about trekking tour:
- optimal time: June - October
- number of participants: minimum 1, maximum 8.
- transportation is made by car or minibus.
- mountain tour requires a very good physical shape, with resistance to hard effort.
- licensed mountain guide during the entire trekking tour.
- the route could be changed because of the weather conditions.
- Your local contact is Active Travel Day Tours on 0040728804952.
- Please note: Complimentary pick-up from Brasov is offered for this tour/activity. If you require this service you must contact Active Travel Day Tours at
at least 24 Day(s) prior to your tour/activity date to verify your pick-up time and pick-up location. If you are not arriving within the specified timeframe, please contact Active Travel Day Tours prior to your travels, or immediately upon arrival at your destination.
- Please be ready at least 10 minutes prior to departure time.