Bunea Wilderness Cabin - Premium Wildlife Watching Experience
Come and experience the Carpathian’s extraordinary and abundant wildlife by staying at the eco-friendly, remote and cosy Bunea wilderness cabin in the Făgăraș Mountains.
Period: 01 May - 15 October
Located above Pecineagu Lake with a spectacular view over Făgăraș and Iezer-Păpușa Mountains, Bunea is the perfect blend of comfort and pristine nature.
The tour is a once in a lifetime experience (at least) and will take you to places where Europe’s most extensive unfragmented forest lies, home of the continent’s largest population of wolves, bears and lynx.
Built by Foundation Conservation Carpathia, this eco-friendly cabin is part of the largest private conservation project in Europe and is a green business example that has a positive impact on the environment.
Surrounded by forests, far away from civilisation and overlooking Pecineagu Lake, Bunea wilderness cabin is located on the southernmost ridge of the Făgăraș Mountains. More than wildlife watching, a few days at the hide are an opportunity to explore and reconnect with the wilderness of the Carpathian Mountains. Sit back, relax and once the sun starts setting, look out for wildlife such as bear, lynx, wolf, red deer, roe deer or the newly reintroduced European bison from the safety of the hide.
This is an all-inclusive experience (with off-road transportation through Dâmbovița Valley, specialised guide, organic food and beverages) so that you will gain the most of your wildlife experience.
Meet your guide in Rucar village, Arges county, at a designated address. You can safely leave your car here. After a short briefing, you will embark on a 4WD car and venture deep in the Dâmbovița river valley
Upon arrival, you will be welcomed with a glass of champagne and a light snack by your friendly host.
Once the sun starts setting, look for bears, wild boar, foxes, red deer or roe deer from the comfort of the hide.
In the evening, enjoy a candle-lit gourmet dinner made from local, organic ingredients and premium Romanian organic wines. We spend our evenings telling stories.
At the crack of dawn, wake up to see any wildlife roaming around the area with a mug of fresh tea or coffee.
After a hearty breakfast, choose a hiking trail with the length and level of difficulty that suits you best (for a minimum stay two nights; your guide will advise you about this). During our trip, we may check our camera traps for wildlife monitoring.
At lunchtime, we choose a scenic place with breathtaking views over the Făgăraș and Iezer-Păpușa Mountains to relax and enjoy a well-deserved picnic (this applies for minimum stay for 2 nights; for one-night stay, you will receive a packaged lunch).
Bunea wilderness cabin can accommodate up to 6 guests. It features two bedrooms (one with a double bed and the other one with 4 bunk beds).
minimum 2 people - maximum 6 people
€ 253/person (first night)
€ 190/person (any additional night)
Children up to 12 years old benefit from a 40% discount (accommodation, food and tours)
- Accommodation at Bunea wilderness cabin
- Full board (breakfast, lunch, dinner): organic gourmet food, organic beverages
- Off-road transportation in Dâmbovița Valley and electric raft transfer (weather depending)
- Licensed & specialised guide
- Guided day hikes
- return transfer Brasov (90 euro/person)
What you will find at Bunea wilderness cabin
- Eco-friendly, wooden building with rustic design
- Cosy beds (a double bed and 4 bunk beds), bed sheets, pillows and warm blankets
- Fully equipped kitchen
- Rustic fireplace
- Dining room
- Restroom with toilet, solar shower (weather-permitting), sink with running water, free toiletries, towels
- Large windows for wildlife watching (additional windows for professional cameras/wildlife photography facilities)
- Rain ponchos
- Wildlife and birdwatching equipment - binoculars - and telescope for stargazing
- Field guides: birds, mammals, plants and other relevant brochures
- Wildlife observation book (by noting down what animals you see, you take part in our conservation activities, while also helping our wildlife monitoring team)
- Fresh air, tranquillity and great company
- Exclusivity for you and your group (extra fees may apply)
What you will not find at Bunea wilderness cabin
- GSM service
- Hiking boots
- Day backpack (you can leave your main luggage in the car)
- Warm clothes (it may be chilly in the morning and late evening)
- Rain jacket (weather in the mountains can be unpredictable)
- Sun hat and/or sunglasses
- Head torch (optional)
- Mosquito spray (optional)