Brown Bear Watching Short Break
A 4 day trip with departure from Bucharest or Brasov focused on bear watching in the wild, with a local English speaking bear researcher.
Bear watching short break in Brasov area, Transylvania, Romania: bear watching, hiking in the Carpathians, untouched nature, contiguous forests, amazing customs and hospitable people. Best chances: second half of May and mid-August-September.
For environmental reasons the size of the group is 2-6 persons (only adults).
Difficulty grade: 2 days of hiking 30′-1h every morning and evening in medium to hard mountainous terrain. It is compulsory that you bring good hiking boots, hiking clothing, a walking pole.
2 is the minimum number of field days we recommend for bear watching in the wild to increase your chances to see wild bears in completely natural and uncontrolled conditions. In fact the more days you spend in the field – the higher chances of success you have.
Rates: 549 euro/person for a group of 2 - 6 people
Single room supplement: 9 euro/day.
The package includes:
- 3 days full-board accommodation in double room at a guesthouse in Zarnesti
- local English-speaking wildlife guide
- transfer from/to the airport, local transportation for the included activities
- 2 days wildlife watching and tracking with a wildlife researcher.
- paragliding, biking, entrance fee to places of interest, visit to a shepherd camp, alcoholic beverages unless specified in the itinerary, any other personal expenses.
Day 1: Transfer to a local guesthouse with en-suite facilities in Zarnesti, entrance point in Piatra Craiului National Park.
Day 2 - 3: We leave very early in the morning (before sunrise) to watch wild bears in totally natural and uncontrolled conditions, before they go to sleep, which in mid-summer is until 8.00 am. Together with the bear researcher you walk slowly on one of the valleys teeming with wildlife looking for bears.
As extra activities, during day-time you can do some hiking and wildlife tracking, visit a shepherd camp, some of the local historical places (e.g. Bran Castle, Peles Castle or the medieval town of Brasov), go by horse drawn cart, bike, paraglide, horse ride or just relax in the garden with a glass of home-made bilberry liquor or plum brandy, or the local “bear beer”.
In the late afternoon, we drive and hike to special places for bear watching in their natural habitat. The chances are quite high (about 90% for bears), as the researchers know the perfect spots for bear watching. Late in the evening (after sunset) you return to the guesthouse for a good night sleep.
Day 4: Transfer back to the airport.
Details about the tour:
- GOOD level of fitness required. Also you need to be able to cope with the lack of sleep for the bear watching days.
- Accommodation in a local guesthouse in double room with en suite facilities.
- Meal basis: full board included throughout (lunch consisting in sandwiches).
- Transportation: by minibus/car.